Thursday, March 27, 2008

Under All I Say and Do

Following my last post earlier today, I was discouraged. It has been a challenging day- attending the visitation of a stillborn child and learning of the tragic death of a near born child and mother. But shortly after my writing, I sat in my mommy chair for a much needed quiet time and read these words from Streams in the Desert

Just longing, dear Lord, for you,
Jesus, beloved and true;
Yearning and wondering when
You'll be coming back again,
Under all I say and do,
Just longing, dear Lord, for you

Some glad day, all watching past,
You will come for me at last;
Then I'll see you, hear your voice,
Be with you, with you rejoice;
How the sweet hope thrills me through,
Sets me longing, dear Lord, for you.

Yes my grief is a constant undercurrent of my life, a constant longing for my child. But a deeper stronger current flows, my spirit's longing for the Giver of Life. The amazing thing to me is that my desire for the Lord, my longing for Him is strengthened and sustained not by me but by Him. That gives me great encouragement on these difficult days when I really don't know that I can continue on the path He has laid before me, a path to seek out the hurting and bring them the hope of Christ. On days when the pain is overwhelming, His constancy within me is stronger still.

Thank You Lord for your sustaining grace that not only opens the gates of heaven for me but allows me each day to take a simple breath.

No comments: