Monday, February 18, 2008

Holding What I Have Not Seen

From my marriage, I have learned a lot about God's love for His people. From military deployments and waiting for my husband to come home, I have learned a lot about waiting for Christ's return someday. From Lia, I have learned about Jesus.

For years I have struggled deeply with wrapping my head around the concept of Jesus - fully man and fully God, walking around here on earth. I often wished I was one of the disciples, thinking that somehow being in the daily presence of Jesus would help me believe. I have struggled with this one thought - How do I believe in, talk to, hold to someone I have never seen?

My love for Lia is helping me learn how to love and hold to Jesus. I have never seen Lia's smile or the light in her eyes. I have never heard her voice, her tears, or her laughter. But I know them. I know as any mother would. I hear and see in my heart and in my spirit what my flesh has never and will never know. And my love for her grows each day.

Because of Lia, I feel I am coming to know Jesus better too. Just as it is enough for my heart alone to know Lia, it is enough for my heart alone to know Jesus. I don't need to see Jesus and hear Jesus to love Him because I can come to love Him as I have come to love Lia - with my heart. Yes, my eyes wish they could see them both here on this earth, but with faith the eyes of my heart see clearly.

When I think of Lia, when I see her with my heart - my joy is overflowing. Oh Lord, let me see you with such clarity. I long to see and know you as intimately as I know my own sweet Lia.

I Peter 1:8
and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory

No comments: